[ntp:questions] ntpd just doesnt sync (but ntpdate does!)

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Nov 13 07:52:31 UTC 2008

Marc Logemann wrote:

> First of all i know that the "=" means that its not syncing at this
> point. I have a different server (which is also in the list with
> 192.168.100.100, where there is a "*" before the remote hostname and
> there everything is fine). Now i compared both config files but they
> are all the same (except for the server list)

Most people here are more familiar with the ntpq peers output, in which
case ignored would be space.

Rather than guess, could you please provide the output of the ntpq rv
command run against each association id returned by the ntpq assoc command.

The most common recent cause of this is an excessive root dispersion due
to accessing a w32time system that hasn't really been synchronized
recently, or, more controversially a not recently synchronised orphan
mode server.