[ntp:questions] Hopelessly broken clock?

Chris Richmond tomnykds at comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 02:28:57 UTC 2008

I'm trying to set up ntp on a new Core2 Duo box running Fredora Core9.
It appears that it's local clock runs several seconds an hour fast.  I'm
basing this on running ntpdate against the existing box I have running
ntp with pps.  It reports skewing the clock by seconds even after just
a few minutes.

Also, ntpq data shows the jitter as always 0.997, and the offset goes
nuts right away.  The poll and reach look like they are working, but
the time just gets away really fast.

I have another box with the same O/S install and ntp config, and it locks
up right away just fine, so I suspect it's a hardware issue, not a
config problem.

I've tried to read through the offical docs on the NTP web site on
diagnosing problems, but can't make sense of what some of the
instructions mean. What's missing are examples of what actually
needs to happen.

In any case, if the actual box's clock is that far off, is it a lost
cause as a time keeper?

Can I make ntptime correct the kernel's clock enough to get this
to work?  If so, how, and can this be done in the bootup scripts?

Thx, Chris