[ntp:questions] Hopelessly broken clock?

Phil phil at xxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sun Nov 16 06:48:09 UTC 2008

"Chris Richmond" <tomnykds at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9B57BC0965C12tomnykdscomcastnet at 74.209.131.18...
> I'm trying to set up ntp on a new Core2 Duo box running Fredora Core9.
> It appears that it's local clock runs several seconds an hour fast.  I'm
> basing this on running ntpdate against the existing box I have running
> ntp with pps.  It reports skewing the clock by seconds even after just
> a few minutes.
>
> Also, ntpq data shows the jitter as always 0.997, and the offset goes
> nuts right away.  The poll and reach look like they are working, but
> the time just gets away really fast.
>
> I have another box with the same O/S install and ntp config, and it locks
> up right away just fine, so I suspect it's a hardware issue, not a
> config problem.
>
> I've tried to read through the offical docs on the NTP web site on
> diagnosing problems, but can't make sense of what some of the
> instructions mean. What's missing are examples of what actually
> needs to happen.
>
> In any case, if the actual box's clock is that far off, is it a lost
> cause as a time keeper?
>
> Can I make ntptime correct the kernel's clock enough to get this
> to work?  If so, how, and can this be done in the bootup scripts?
>
> Thx, Chris

Chris,
May not be applicable in your case but I have multiple HP pc's and most were
running fast. I replaced batteries in all my machines that were a few years
old and it's amazing what a new battery will do.

In my case we bought them on-line for about a buck each in quantity and I
changed batteries in all my electronics that used the 3-volt button
batteries. It may not get the local oscillator on the proper frequency, but
it should make it stable, a somewhat fixed drift rate. Just a thought.

Phil