[ntp:questions] ntp client

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 17:37:34 UTC 2008

Melanie Pfefer wrote:
> Hi
> I setup ntp server on 2 machines.
>
> On solaris, I created /etc/inet/ntp.client (copied from /etc/inet/ntp.conf)
> I modified multicastclient to the IP server of one of the ntp servers.

I don't believe ntpd looks for "/etc/inet/ntp.client" unless you start
it with options telling it that it's supposed to use a non-standard
configuration file.  /etc/inet/ntp.conf is the default.  I would
# cp /etc/inet/ntp.conf /etc/inet/ntp.original_conf
Then use an editor to customize /etc/inet/ntp.conf.  That way you still
have the original template if you need to start over from scratch.

I will not comment on configuration of a multicast client since I've
never done it.