[ntp:questions] ntp client

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Nov 18 08:25:15 UTC 2008

Melanie Pfefer wrote:
> Hi
> I setup ntp server on 2 machines.
>
> On solaris, I created /etc/inet/ntp.client (copied from
> /etc/inet/ntp.conf) I modified multicastclient to the IP server of one of
> the ntp servers.

AFAIK /etc/inet/ntp.client and /etc/inet/ntp.server are templates for a
file /etc/inet/ntp.conf.

So if you want to act your Solaris machine mainly as an NTP server you need
to copy ntp.client to ntp.conf, and if your machine should work mainly as
an NTP server you should copy ntp.client to ntp.conf.

Anyway the resulting ntp.conf file should be checked to see it it lets ntpd
do what you want.

AFAIR the NTP daemon is started automatically under Solaris at boot time if
the /etc/inet/ntp.conf file exists.

> 1] ntpq -pn
> No association ID's returned

This seems to indicate your NTP daemon has no reference time sources
configured, or if it works just as broadcast/multicast client it has not
received any packets from a broadcast/multicast server.

> What is missing?
>
> 2] Can I add 2 IP addresses in multicastclient ?

Why would you do that? Normally ntpd should use the well-known multicast
addresses which have been assigned by the IANA, i.e. 224.0.1.1 for IPv4 or
ff05::101 for IPv6, depending on whether your server sends IPv5 or IPv6.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren