[ntp:questions] ntp or other time stuff on virtual server?

George R.Kasica georgek at netwrx1.com
Tue Nov 18 12:42:14 UTC 2008

On 17 Nov 2008 23:08:21 GMT, Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:

>On 2008-11-17, David Woolley <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Unruh wrote:
>>
>>> A question has come up on another newgroup whethr or not the time can
>>> be disciplined via ntp (or chrony) on a virtual server.
>>
>> You should discipline the host and run vmware tools or equivalent on
>> the guests.
>>
>> A link to the VMWare paper on this was posted last week.
>
>As a courtesy to our many readers, here's the link:
>
>http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/VMWareNTP

We're running about 80-100 VMware linux and Windows servers here under
both 2.5.5 and 3.0.3 (though 3.0.3 is far better as is 3.5 which we
will be going to around 1/09) and we've had great success with a cron
script and vmwaretools (given vmwaretools won't step BACK if you're
running fast from what their support tells us).

The script is in /etc/cron.hourly and its a one liner called timefix
for us and its basically this

ntpd -q

make sure you have ntpd TURNED OFF on the server and we see precisions
easily within 0.10 second. Good enough to get LDAP working etc. in
this environment. I wouldn't use a VM as a NTP server but there's no
reason not to use ntp on it to keep it in sync with vmware tools and
ntp. Also, make sure that you have the TimeSync=True set in the vmware
config there's a command line that will do this for you as well that
you can run from the vm guest along with the step to add clock=pit to
your linux kernel boot lines.

2) Turn off ntpd on new vitual machine
chkconfig --level 2345 ntpd off
/etc/init.d/ntpd stop

4) check kernel lines for clock=pit
vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
add them if not there

5) Check VMware setting for tools.timesync=true in vmx file
run the following on linux system to set it

vmware-guestd --cmd 'vmx.set_option synctime 0 1'

Hope this helps someone some, it works for us, but your results may
vary. Feel free to write me back off list with any questions.

George