[ntp:questions] Isolated Network Drift Problem

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Nov 24 18:31:16 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-22, David Woolley <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> On 2008-11-22, David Woolley <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In that case, you need to come up with

[snip]

>>> In particular, you need to ...

[snip]

>> You are entitled to ask if I can provide explanations for reported
>> ntp behavior. But telling me that I "need to" do something at your
>> whim is simply going too far.
>
> If you don't do so,

There's that tone again.

> there is evidence pointing in both directions. As such, I will have to
> continue warning people that there is reasonable doubt about whether
> orphan mode works for time islands. (It may turn out that it works for
> some ntpd versions, but not others, for example.)

Based on my _actual_ _tests_ (which, again, I have yet to see you deign
to conduct) ...

Version 4.2.5p145 works as a stand alone Orphan Server. The refid is set
to 127.0.0.1 and the startum to the orphan level shortly after start up
and the rootdispersion (now named rootdisp) is stable at a fixed value.

Version 4.2.5p20, on the other hand, does not work as a stand alone
Orphan Server. This version of NTP leaves the refid set to .INIT. and
the stratum at 16. And the rootdispersion increases as ntpd runs.

According to the ChangeLogs, changes to the Orphan Mode code were
incorporated to 4.2.4p5 and 4.2.5p124 on 2008/08/17. However 4.2.4p5
shows the same incorrect behavior.

Several hours of testing have shown that only releases after (and
including) 4.2.5p101 are usable as stand alone Orphan Servers (e.g. in a
time island).

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>