[ntp:questions] chu and wwv audio driver problems in debian lenny

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Nov 24 20:48:02 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-24, jimmyterrence at gmail.com <jimmyterrence at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying for the past couple of weeks to set up an ntp server
> syncing with chu using the audio drivers.  I got sound set up on the
> computer that I'm using (an old dell GX110) using the open sound
> drivers from http://www.opensound.com/
>
> I have a Kaito KA1103 that I tuned to CHU on 3330 kHz. I ran the audio
> signal out of the radio from the line out port, through an audio
> isolation transformer into the line in port on the Dell.  When I plug
> a set of headphones into the line out port on the computer, I can hear
> the audio clearly.  However, ntp never seems to sync using the audio
> signal.
>
> I changed to WWV audio drivers and set the radio to listen to WWV at
> 10 MHz to see if I could get it to sync to that, and it doesn't.

I have a (FreeBSD) system listening to CHU. One thing I had to do was
create a /dev/chu_audio symlink pointing at my audio device.

Another thing to check is the permissions on your audio device. The ntpd
user must have read access to it.

The CHU driver documentation is at
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4/drivers/driver7.html if you don't have the
ntp-doc package installed.