[ntp:questions] ntp clients out of sync with server

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Nov 24 22:48:19 UTC 2008

On 2008-10-28, naihong at gmail.com <naihong at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know 127.127.1.0 should [not] appear in any clients' configure file.

FTFY

> But without this statement, the display from ntpq -p, only display
> the client out of sync with server. I mean tally '*' is missing from
> server,

That's because the client was not synchronized to the server.

>I did not know which time the client followed.

You knew that the client was not synchronized to the server.

> So add 127.127.1.0, just make sure the client sync to its own
> clock.

An ntpd using the Undisciplined Local Clock is free-wheeling. It is not
really synced to anything.

> But this doesn't work. The clients cannot follow server's time after
> about one day running.

That's because you are not using a recent enough version of ntpd on the
server.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>