[ntp:questions] ntp clients out of sync with server

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Nov 25 00:31:00 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-12, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> Firstly, I'm not sure that it is advertised to work for time islands, or
> whether that is just an assumption that has been made by people posting
> here.

It is the stated replacement for the Undisciplined Local Clock.

> Secondly, I'm not the person reporting the symptoms that I can only
> explain in terms of it being unsuitable for time islands.  I don't
> believe the person who did report the problem has good English, so I
> doubt they would want to raise a bug report, especially as using the
> local clock driver will probably solve their problem.
>
> I would have hoped, if orphan mode really was suitable for time islands,
> that two or three people would have been able to tell that person what
> they were doing wrong, but there was total silence, in spite of my
> prompting a couple of times.
>
> I have to decide whether it is important enough for me to spend the time
>   carefully reading the documentation to see how it is supposed to work,

I have to decide whether it is important to me to read every single
message in any thread.

> and reading the code to see how it actually works, given that I don't
> have an immediate personal need for such a configuration.  I could
> conclude that there is a bug; I could conclude that the suitability for
> time islands is an urban legend; or I could decide that the reported
> symptoms make no sense.

Orphan Mode is the designated replacement for the Undisciplined Local
Clock. If it does not work as advertised then the issues need to be
addressed with real evidence.

> Incidentally, for another package I'm involved with (currently in rather
>   more depth than for ntpd) it is considered bad form to report a bug,
> unless there is unequivocal evidence, or one has tried to get an
> explanation on the support forum first, and the advice there is that it
> is a bug.  You seem to be asking for a formal bug report before
> configuration or document misreading errors have been excluded.

No. I'm telling you that _if_ you actually find a problem you should
report it via established channels rather than merely making dismissive
remarks in a public forum. The choice is yours.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>