[ntp:questions] Isolated Network Drift Problem

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Nov 25 22:23:17 UTC 2008

Cal Webster wrote:

> None of our client machines use the local clock. The servers configured
> like this are the other 3 "peer" NTP servers. Don't they need some type
> of time reference if the master server becomes unreachable?

No.  PCs keep time even without NTP installed.

ntpd disciplines the local clock.  If you use the local clock as your
reference, it will always read exactly the same as the local clock being
disciplined, so no corrections will ever be made.  You have fallen for
an urban legend!

The Local Clock driver is a fiction used to allow an unsynchronised
machine to appear synchronised to downstream machines.