[ntp:questions] Isolated Network Drift Problem

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 22:52:47 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2008-11-25, Cal Webster <cwebster at ec.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> ... We'd have to run a long cable [to the GPS18LVC] though,
>> the computer lab has no windows and the roof is the most logical place
>> to put an antenna. I don't think USB will handle that much line loss.
>
> It is RS-232, not USB.

RS-232 specifies a 50 foot maximum!

IF you use top quality cable, take care that your cable runs avoid the
fluorescent lighting fixtures, etc, you can use a great deal more than
that.  I've used more than 100 feet on occasion.  If it doesn't work,
you will get no sympathy.

I'd suggest that you put the computer on the top floor somewhere and use
Cat-5 cable for your RS232.