[ntp:questions] Shared libraries

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Nov 28 07:42:20 UTC 2008

Nimish Bhargava wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using NTP 4.2.4p5 and trying to build shared libraries on 64 bit
> machine.
> Even after providing --enable-shared=yes --enable-static=no as an input to
> configuration, upon compilation only static libraries are getting created.

The comments in configure for 4.2.4p4 say;

  *) # So far, the only shared library we might use is libopts.
     # It's a small library - we might as well use a static version of it.
     # Check whether --enable-shared or --disable-shared was given.

In any case, what would you expect to gain from using shared libraries
with ntp?

If anything, there is a case for forcing the use of a static version of
libc, as  nptd locks down all its libraries, and that can force a lot of
bloat into memory on embedded systems with limited memory.