[ntp:questions] Enterprise NTP Architecture

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Oct 1 02:38:04 UTC 2008

>>> In article <7b69d111-18f7-47f4-a7a2-e8eb8e523959 at i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, david.gouranton at gmail.com writes:

david> Thank you all for your answers. For FreeBSD, I know it would be cheap
david> but:
david> - we don't need a high time accuracy.

What tools are you looking at that will give you less accuracy and less
work?

This is a serious question.

More to the point, what are the cost differences between an NTP solution and
whatever else you are considering?

david> - we need to take into account the corporate environment (who manages
david> the server ? what about the maintenance (soft and hard) ? who patches
david> it ? etc)

This could be really trivial - it is entirely reasonable to use a few
soekris boxes (for example) and turn them in to NTP servers and just forget
about them until somebody decides to see if there is reason to look at them.

You could also buy a commercial NTP appliance and get vendor support.

david> - we need to keep the network as homogeous as possible.

OK, so this will either be case of "we're gonna use what we have already" or
"we get sufficient benefit from using NTP on an FOO server that we'll use
that instead."

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!