[ntp:questions] Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Oct 2 19:11:53 UTC 2008

David,

Your mission is seriously in jeopardy.

The NTP discipline loop has hard constraints on maximum sample rate
(minimum poll interval) and loop dynamics. If you force the sample rate
greater than one in 8 s, you violate the loop delay requirement and the
loop WILL become unstable. There is no magic tinker that does what you
want. The allan intercept tinker depends on the individual oscillator
characteristics, not what you want it to do. See the briefings on the
NPT project page.

You can redesign the loop for faster convergence, but that requires
changing the seconds timer, which is a major overhaul of the timer
facility. The loop constants in ntp_loopfilter.c would have to scale in
the proper mathematical ratio. The equations are in my book. You will
find the exponential term in the impulse responce equation will be your
worst enemy.

Your "pretty much perfect" makes sense only if you have the same initial
conditions, especially the frequency. If you just change the offset, the
loop dynamics will induce a transient as you observed. The only true
test is to let the daemon settle, then stop are restart it. It should be
well within 5 ms for most modern systems.

It appears what you need to conform to a specifcation within a given
offset within a given time. The NTP discipline can do that just fine as
long as the initial conditions for the feedback loop are precisely
known. If you change the offset outside the loop, you must recompute the
frequency. However, when started for the first time or after a long
period of absence, the loop has to relearn these conditions and that
takes time. You can reduce this time be redesigning the loop, but then
the loop becomes increasingly vulnerable to frequency instability.

 From your description I seriously doubt NTP in its present form is
appropriate for your application.

Dave