[ntp:questions] Different behavior between ntpd 4.2.0 and 4.2.4?

Johnny Ljunggren j.ljunggren at no.parkairsystems.com
Fri Oct 3 08:32:39 UTC 2008

Hello

I just upgraded som e machines from Mandriva 2006 to 2008 and thus ntpd from 4.2.0 to 4.2.4. Using the exact same ntp.conf file I get different behavior on the two versions, and the 4.2.4 version does not work as expected. I also downloaded the 4.2.4p5 source from ntp.org and installed but got the same behavior.

The ntp.conf is quite simple:
server nanna prefer minpoll 4 maxpoll 6 iburst
server 127.127.1.0     # local clock
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
multicastclient                 # listen on default 224.0.1.1
broadcastdelay  0.008

This is the procedure I do to get this behavior:
LAN connections ok, and restart of ntpd. I let ntpd sync and see with ntpq -c peers that server nanna is in use. If I disconnect the lan connection to nanna eventually ntpq -c peers shows that local clock is being used. However, if I connect the lan to nanna again ntpq -c peers shows that nanna is never accepted as ntp server, and local clock is used no matter how long I wait.
Doing the same with ntpd 4.2.0 automatically reinstates nanna as ntp server to use.

I've set up two machines with the same ntp.conf but different ntpd versions and run these commands when disconnected and after connection has been established again:
# ntpq -c peers
# ntpq -c as
# ntpq -c "rl <nanna assId>"

To not drown this mail I've put the output here: http://www.linuxtips.info/?p=32

Any input to this matter would be highly appreciated.

BTW: If this post comes as html, then please tell me and also how I can make Outlook Web Access behave...

--
Johnny Ljunggren
Systems Engineer, Surveillance

Postal address: