[ntp:questions] Wrong Time-settings for Australia?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Oct 7 16:05:14 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:40:58 +0200
> From: thomas.kopowski at web.de
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.org
>

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> Could it be possible, that the settings for the australian-region are momentarily not correct?
> With my Siemens Gigaset C470IP (IP-phone) i choosed Australia/Melbourne and DaylightSaving. But the Australians are a little bit earlier these days with the daylight saving. So the time differs currently by one hour!
>
> Wrong time on my C470IP : 	18:39
> Right time in Australia :		19:39
>
> Could you please check your settings on the server for this region?

Thomas,

I'm afraid you are confused about the operation of NTP. NTP has no
concept of time zones or local time. While it could, in theory, be
synchronized to any time, effectively, it only knows about UTC (also,
often called GMT). It is up to the local system to translate this into
local time.

Both Windows and Unix platforms (including MacOS) support this, but they
require that the systems have accurate time zone information. You need to
talk to your system admin people to get this taken care of.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)