[ntp:questions] Wrong Time-settings for Australia?

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 7 19:56:11 UTC 2008

thomas.kopowski at web.de writes:

>Dear Sir or Madam,

>Could it be possible, that the settings for the australian-region are momentarily not correct?
>With my Siemens Gigaset C470IP (IP-phone) i choosed Australia/Melbourne and DaylightSaving. But the Australians are a little bit earlier these days with the daylight saving. So the time differs currently by one hour!

>Wrong time on my C470IP : 	18:39
>Right time in Australia :		19:39

>Could you please check your settings on the server for this region?

This has absolutely nothing to do with ntp. That gives ONLY UTC (Universal
Time Coordinate) Your local time is compeltely up to your operating system.
If you phone gives the wrong time, yell at the phone manufacturer.
It is entirely possible that they are wrong-- a) you probably bought the
phone a while ago and they did not know at that time that the Australian
politicians would change their minds again.
b) You probably have not updated the software in the phone.

Note that some phones get their time signals from the local wireless
provider. Yell at the provider.