[ntp:questions] ntp.conf location on Windows

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Oct 12 19:13:34 UTC 2008

Ryan Malayter wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Martin Burnicki
> <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> wrote:
>> Please note that especially under Windows things may look different. The NTP
>> service first tries to open %windir%\ntp.conf, and, if that file does not
>> exist, %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\ntp.conf.
>>
>> The GUI installers provided by Meinberg override these settings with an etc\
>> directory below the program installation path, by default \program
>> files\ntp\etc. The configured setting can be retrieved from the ImagePath
>> registry key of the NTP service registry entry.
>
> On Windows, the isn't defined place for 3rd party service
> configuration files the All Users profile? If so, shouldn't ntpd use
> something like:
> %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ntp\ntp.conf
>
> When you stick read-write files into %WINDIR% or %PROGRAMFILES%,
> you're braking conventions that enable forward and backward
> compatibility. Almost all of the software which was "broken" by Vista
> or Win 2008 ignored the MS-defined file placement rules (which I think
> have been documented since NT4 in the mid 1990s).
>
> Most software which "requires" admin rights on Windows is simply
> poorly written, and dumps temporary and config files into the wrong
> places.

The Windows service is installed to use an account which has only 2
privileges: Login as Service, Change System Time. All other privileges
should not be assigned to the account. Note that creating an account
belonging to the Users group has too many privileges.

Changing the location of the ntp.conf file is on my list of things to
address. Note that you can always use the -c option on the command line
to put it anywhere you want.

Danny