[ntp:questions] "ntpd -q" is slow compared to ntpdate

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 07:14:15 UTC 2008

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
[]
> Much of the pain can be alleviated by not rebooting.  I dunno about
> Vista but W/XP can run for weeks or even months between reboots.  If
> you must shut down to save electricity or something, you'll just have
> to start the machines a few minutes before they need to have the correct
> time.

Yes, Vista is as stable as XP and can run for weeks or months at a time.
My main Vista system is usually rebooted for the monthly security updates,
though.  When the systems (2000, XP and Vista) are rebooted, they come up
within a second or so of correct time simply by running NTP as a service -
no special action required.  The time is correct as soon as the user logs
in.

David