[ntp:questions] "ntpd -q" is slow compared to ntpdate

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 16 04:09:52 UTC 2008

Rick Jones wrote:
> Mohit Aron <extproxy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
>>> See http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate .
>
>> Thanks. It seems 'sntp -r <server>' is the appropriate replacement
>> for ntpdate.
>
> I'm sure I'm about to soil my shoe in what may be an old and
> well-trodden pile, but if sntp can set the time as well and as quickly
> as ntpdate, why a new program rather than fixes/enhancements to the
> old one?  Command-name inertia can be rather strong.  Eg nslookup vs
> dig or host.

SOME programs can be easily fixed, enhanced, etc.  Other programs,
thanks to such things as great age, poor initial design, or "too many
cooks" can be a nightmare to maintain.

I've got a copy of ntpdate that I use and will go on using.  It does
what I want it to do!  If it fails I'll consider using something else.