[ntp:questions] "ntpd -q" is slow compared to ntpdate

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Oct 16 21:44:05 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> MSNTP an independent implementation of sntp by Nick Maclaren at the
> University of Cambridge. It is aparently licensed under the GPL. Here is
> the description for the Debian msntp package:

Nick Maclaren is a statistician (he was statistics programming adviser
when I was a student).  When he contributed to this newsgroup, he was a
strong proponent of the linear regression strategy also used by chrony.
  I hadn't heard of MSNTP before, so I don't know if it is also a linear
regression tracker.