[ntp:questions] "ntpd -q" is slow compared to ntpdate

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Oct 19 21:54:37 UTC 2008

>>> In article <976d969e0810191247p88aea86j14000203d150e089 at mail.gmail.com>, extproxy at gmail.com (Mohit Aron) writes:

>> The best solution to this mess was to deprecate ntpdate, once there was a
>> way to provide all of the intended *and assumed* functionality of ntpdate
>> by some other way.
>>
>> The first set was removing the need to set the time with ntpdate before
>> starting ntpd.  The solution to this problem is -g, and perhaps calling
>> ntp-wait (which actually implemented a missing feature that had been
>> needed before).

Mohit> I don't think '-g' option to ntpd is a practical solution - since it
Mohit> takes way too long to set the local time. Given this, people will
Mohit> continue to use ntpdate or sntp to set the time in a one-shot way
Mohit> before actually running ntpd.

Please see http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate and
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/StartingNTP .

Just because ntpd -g is not right for *your* application doesn't mean it is
wrong for everybody.

And in the instances I run, 'ntpd -g' has the machine sync'd and moving
along fine in about 11 seconds.

I recommend you:

- list each of your target goals
- identify various implementation choices
- identify the cost of implementing each target goal
- identify the cost of *not* being able to implement each target goal

>> There will be a script called "ntpdate" for those folks who want to keep
>> running a program by that name.

Mohit> That will be great. It'll also be super if the ntpd man page can be
Mohit> fixed so it doesn't say ntpdate is to be retired and that 'ntpd -q'
Mohit> is an alternative to using ntpdate. This is spreading a lot of
Mohit> misinformation and causing waste of time. My company changed all the
Mohit> configs in our product to use 'ntpd -q', only to realize the hard way
Mohit> that it is way slower than 'ntpdate' and then we had to revert back.

If your company would join the NTP Forum (see my .sig) you'd have the
ability to discuss things like this to make sure you were on the right
track, and if new functionality was needed you'd have a better avenue to get
that implemented, too.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!