[ntp:questions] Command option iburst: usable in peer relations?

Nottorf, Stefan Stefan.Nottorf at plath.de
Mon Oct 20 08:10:04 UTC 2008

Hello,
I am not quite sure on when to use the iburst option. In our network
there are stratum 2 peers and stratum 3 peers. While configuring I read
about the command options - also about iburst.
The official documentation
(http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/confopt.html#cfg) reads:
"This option is valid only with the server command and type s addresses.
It is a recommended option with this command."
While the ntp.org site
(http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/StartingNTP4#Section_7.1.4.1.)
states:
"Use iburst in the appropriate peer or server lines in your
/etc/ntp.conf file for faster sync (i.e. ~8-15 seconds instead of ~5-10
minutes) "
Is the iburst option usable in peers or not?
Regards,
Stefan