[ntp:questions] "ntpd -q" is slow compared to ntpdate

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Oct 21 03:48:44 UTC 2008

Bill> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> writes:
>> Nick's SNTP code is about to be replaced with completely new code,
>> written by J. Max Kuehn as his GSoC project.

Bill> Ah. OK. And this program will do what? Is it supposed to be a fully
Bill> fledged sntp (ie, act as a client only ntp program, or a server only
Bill> if there is a refclock source, and as a one shot program) or is it a
Bill> one-shot replacement for ntpdate?

Bill> And is it going to have the complete ntp filter/best source selection
Bill> algorithm? And will it have ntp's Markovian adjustment algorithm or a
Bill> regression algorithm (a la chrony an msntp), or...?

The program implements the SNTP protocol as defined by the RFC, as a client.

It will not have support for attached refclocks.

Without my looking at the code or the RFC, I believe this means it will send
a request to the listed host(s) and set the time to the first answer it
receives, and then exit.  If the time is stepped it will DTRT regarding
writing appropriate accounting messages (utmp/wtmp, as appropriate).  It
will support at least one of the specified authentication mechanisms.

We are discussing if it should include a daemon mode that will just sleep a
while and re-ask, but that can be handled by a wrapper script or even a
small program that calls sntp.

The RFC should describe all of this.

There may be more, but this is what I remember off the top of my head.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!