[ntp:questions] Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS

Nicola Berndt nb at komeda-berlin.de
Wed Oct 22 18:39:21 UTC 2008

Hal Murray schrieb:

>> A termistor on the crystal on the other hand might be useful to compensate
>> the temperature ( there is an alteration of ntp which also calculates the
>> temp compensation of the crystal and uses that to calculate the required
>> drift rate.-- unfortunately I do not remember its name of location on the
>> web)
>
>   NTP temperature compensation
>   Mark Martinec, 2001-01-08
>   http://www.ijs.si/time/temp-compensation/
>
> A wonderful read.

Really nice one, thx for the link!

Also thx to everyone thinking about a solution.

A good idea might be to find someone who would program GPS/PPS support
for chrony. Many people would benefit from it. We also have a good
programmer working with us and he is already looking into things..

I also have to further investigate the sudden change of behaviour I
experienced and if I found the reason I will have to try to start the
machine in a very cold room, on the heating and so on.. If it would
settle down within 15 Minutes, we could live with it...

Regards,
../nico