[ntp:questions] Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Wed Oct 22 21:13:08 UTC 2008

>And it probably varies in frequency with temperature and age.  And
>probably no one cares if the frequency is off by a percent or two,
>especially if it's off on the high side.  Who is going to complain if
>his 2.4 GHz processor is actually operating at 2.45 GHZ??

Actually, it's probably low.

If it was fast, you would be overclocking, maybe not by much, but
there is no longer any guarantee that your CPU will work.
[If it would work reliabily at x% faster, all the manufacturers
would bump things up a bit.]

Another reason it's probably slow is that almost everybody uses
spread sprectum clocking to reduce EMI, or rather to get past
the FCC regulation.  It doesn't reduce it, just spreads it around.
That's typically in the 1/2 % range, and it's slower to make sure
they don't break things by going faster.