[ntp:questions] Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Oct 23 06:26:33 UTC 2008

Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hp.com> writes:

>Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> ( assuming that the network noise is at the 100us type level).

>That feels like a rather large assumption given the target environment
>does not seem to allow the system to be synced to be up long-term.

Of course it might be. However he also talks about atomic clocks and gps
and wanting quick ms accuracy, which would only be possible on a fast
network connection, etc. Since we have absolutely no idea what his setup
is, I make my assumptions explicit. It may be that he has Mills's "slow
network to Malasia" where any network packet takes an hour to traverse the
net, but in that case even he might recognize that what he wants is
impossible.