[ntp:questions] Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Oct 23 22:12:38 UTC 2008

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> To turn your equipment on after months of downtime and expect it to lock
> on to the correct time with millisecond accuracy within seconds is
> asking for a hell of a lot.

Not really.  He's starting a GPS receiver at the same time and that has
to lock to 50ns.

Doing it on a general purpose computer is more difficult, but not
particularly impossible.

Unfortunately, the GPS receiver I have only has one channel, so I'm not
sure how fast a parallel receiver can lock when it no longer has valid
ephemeris data.