[ntp:questions] Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 13:00:09 UTC 2008

Nicola Berndt wrote:
> Unruh schrieb:

> Btw, I have minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 in my ntp.conf and ntpq -p says: "poll
> 16". Is it the poll of ntpq -p or of ntpd?

It's the poll interval of ntpd.  Ntpq does not poll!  The poll interval
varies between 2^MINPOLL and 2^MAXPOLL.  You have set MINPOLL=MAXPOLL=4
giving a poll interval of 2^4 or 16 seconds.  This is usually the
correct choice for a GPS receiver.  For getting time over the internet
it would, under most circumstances, be a horrible choice!