[ntp:questions] list posts in UTF-8

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 02:14:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> That may be what you expect, but you can get it 1usec (1 micro second).

Is there something wrong with the mail gateway and Unicode? I posted
my message as text/plain with charset=UTF-8, which has been an IETF
standard for more than a decade. And my message does, in fact, appear
correct with UTF-8 characters such as "μ" (Greek Small Letter Mu,
Unicode 03BC) in the list archives at:
https://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2008-October/020235.html

However, all replies to my message were in 7-bit charset="us-ascii",
which of course mangles the non-ASCII chasracters.

So is it the pipermail gateway that is not Unicode compliant, or is it
the MUAs of the respondents that is at fault? If it is the list
itself... well, isn't it absurd to restrict content of a mailing list
to 7-bit us-ascii? It is 2008, not 1988.

Regards,
--
RPM