[ntp:questions] list posts in UTF-8

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Oct 27 07:53:42 UTC 2008

Ryan Malayter wrote:

> Is there something wrong with the mail gateway and Unicode? I posted
> my message as text/plain with charset=UTF-8, which has been an IETF

On the USENET side, you had these headers, which are mutually incompatible:

> So is it the pipermail gateway that is not Unicode compliant, or is it
> the MUAs of the respondents that is at fault? If it is the list

The fault is arising in the gateway or your MUA.

> itself... well, isn't it absurd to restrict content of a mailing list
> to 7-bit us-ascii? It is 2008, not 1988.

Strictly speaking, there is no standard that permits non-ASCII material
on USENET, although the de facto position is that MIME is permitted.
There are still some important USENET user agents that are not MIME
aware and USENET can get transported over non-TCP channels.