[ntp:questions] list posts in UTF-8

Rob van der Putten rob at sput.nl
Mon Oct 27 13:07:06 UTC 2008

Hi there

Ryan Malayter wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>> That may be what you expect, but you can get it 1usec (1 micro second).
>
> Is there something wrong with the mail gateway and Unicode? I posted
> my message as text/plain with charset=UTF-8, which has been an IETF
> standard for more than a decade. And my message does, in fact, appear
> correct with UTF-8 characters such as "l"

I see a 'l' (006C) here.

> (Greek Small Letter Mu,
> Unicode 03BC) in the list archives at:
> https://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2008-October/020235.html

Charsets contradict;
'META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"'
The transport charset is ISO-8859-1. Transport overrules content.
However, non ascii is encoded as '&#ddd;', where 'ddd' is de decimal
Unicode value, so non ascii is legible anyway.

> However, all replies to my message were in 7-bit charset="us-ascii",
> which of course mangles the non-ASCII chasracters.
>
> So is it the pipermail gateway that is not Unicode compliant,

Does it just convert mail to news? On news to mail as well?
So what does this look like?
Euro: €
mu: µ
z-caron: ž

> or is it
> the MUAs of the respondents that is at fault? If it is the list
> itself... well, isn't it absurd to restrict content of a mailing list
> to 7-bit us-ascii? It is 2008, not 1988.

Post 1999 software should support UTF-8.

Regards,
Rob