[ntp:questions] list posts in UTF-8

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 13:23:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Richard B. Gilbert
<rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Thank you.  I REALLY didn't want to have to learn to read Greek!  And
> who knows how the computer would render Greek characters if you did send
> them!!

There is a 99.9% chance OS supports Unicode, and most likely so do
your fonts. The computer should render them perfectly.

I think the issue is with the mail-to-NNTP gateway, which seems to add
a 7-bit header to an 8-bit UTF-8 message, which is downright silly in
2008.

This is a technical forum. Mathematical and other symbols which are
very useful in such a setting. (μ, Σ, ², √, etc.) . UTF-8 supports
these well.

UTF-8 is supported by all modern MUAs, and all modern MTAs, and should
be supported by all news readers and servers as well.

UTF-8 also allows the names of many forum members to be displayed
properly, which is certainly common courtesy and not possible with
US-ASCII. There are, for example, lots of Germanic and Scandinavian
names amongst the participants, and it appears at least some of those
names would properly include umlauts (such as ü).

Finally, UTF-8 is at most a few percent larger than US-ASCII for
English text (only non-ASCII characters are multi-byte), so that is
not really a concern.

Is this just a setting that could to be changed on the email-to-NNTP gateway?
--
RPM