[ntp:questions] list posts in UTF-8

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 14:40:04 UTC 2008

Rob van der Putten wrote:
> Hi there
>

> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> Those characters display correctly on my NNTP feed from my ISP, using
>> Microsoft Outlook Express for news-reading.
>
> You convert the text without stating the charset used, which makes non
> ascii unreadable.
> This is probably an Outlook bug.
>

> Regards,
> Rob

Rob,

I'm using Microsoft Outlook Express, not Outlook.  They are different
products.

I didn't knowingly "convert" the text, and my own reply to you appeared
with the correct characters displaying.  At least, it did on my own ISP's
news server!  Whether it got corrupted on its way to you I don't know.
Let me see what Google Groups shows.  Can't find your or my post there
right now.

Your message shows:

My message shows:

Whether that's my newsreader or my ISP I don't know.  My program's Send
settings include an option for UUencode or MIME, and it's currently set yo
UUencode, if that helps.

Cheers,
David