[ntp:questions] list posts in UTF-8

Rob van der Putten rob at sput.nl
Mon Oct 27 20:42:36 UTC 2008

Hi there

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> Pipermail is just Mailman's archive mechanism. It has _nothing_ to do
> with the gateway.

Anyone using the gateway?

<Cut>

I don't think news servers do charset conversions.

<Cut>

> I am using slrn packaged for Debian Stable (version 0.9.8.1pl1-28) in
> both a 'screen in ssh in an xterm' session and at an 80 column x 60 line
> console (using using a font chosen for readability) and on the standard
> 80x25 Linux console.

My 80x25 Linux console is UTF-8.

> This is a hex 3F and renders as a question-mark everywhere.

Euro should be hex E2 82 AC

> This is a hex B5

Greek mu should be hex C2 B5

> and renders properly in the xterm and the 25 line
> console. It looks like a squashed upper-case A with an acute accent on
> the 60 line console.

> This is a hex 3F and renders as a question-mark everywhere.

z-caron should be hex C5 BE

I assume you are using ISO-8859-1 as your default locale. ISO-8859-1
does not contain a Euro or z-caron.

Regards,
Rob
--
Anglo-Saxon management is a memetic virus