[ntp:questions] list posts in UTF-8

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Oct 28 03:16:14 UTC 2008

On 2008-10-27, Ryan Malayter <malayter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> ATTRIBUTION MISSING wrote:
>>
>>> Is this just a setting that could to be changed on the email-to-NNTP
>>> gateway?
>>
>> It is not that simple.
>
> Apparently not, based on the variety of behaviors people have
> reported.

There is a 7-bit / 8-bit setting in the MIME processing portion of the
gateway (demime 1.1d). Although I have changed this to 8-bit there is
no guarantee that everything will work properly.

> I'm sorry I brought it up, and will try to restrict myself to the
> US-ASCII character set.

You are likely not aware of the historical back ground of the
comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup and the questions at ntp.org mailing
list.

The comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup was created on June 27th, 1990,
(see http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/\
browse_thread/thread/606893475b5fc71d#).

provide an e-mail interface to the newsgroup and initially used the
Mailman nntp gateway.

In mid 2005, following some heated discussion about broken article
threading (more contentious than the the coments in this thread), we
switched to my gateway implementation. Since then the current gateway
has handled over 16,500 articles. Although it thas been quite reliable,
the occasional issues which arise tend to be discussed in traditional
Usenet manner.

The gateway includes a MIME processor to prevent mailing list
subscribers from sending HTML, and other undesireable MIME entities, to
the newsgroup. We are currently using a customized version of demime
1.1d but an equivalent filter (or a suitably modified version of demime)
could be easily substituted if someone were willing to provide it.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>