[ntp:questions] ntp clients out of sync with server

naihong at gmail.com naihong at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 19:03:50 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have a test environment,
	Server(WinXP2,Meinberg ntp-4.2.4p5)

  |			                          |	    		                    |
C1(XP2,ntp-4.2.4p5)  C2(Vista-64,ntp-4.2.4p5)
C3(CentOS5.2,ntp-4.2.2p1)

Since it's time island, no connection to public time server. I select
the orphan mode. After the server and clients start up. At first, the
clents can sync to server's clock. But after 1 day, all 3 clients
begin to sync to its local clock, not the server. The output of ntpq -
p is,
	remote		refid		st  t when poll  reach    delay    offset     jitter
       10.200.98.51	127.0.0.1            5 u   105  256   377
0.299   -1.886     0.591
        *LOCAL(0)		.LOCL.		12 l      23   64   377     0.000
0.000    0.001

The ntp.conf on server is,
driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
tos orphan 5

The ntp.conf on all 3 clients is(except the drift file location),

driftfile "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
server 10.200.98.51 iburst

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12
logconfig = all
logfile "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\ntp.log"
statsdir "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\log\"
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

At beginning, the configuration file on client has only first 2 lines,
the lines from server 127.127.1.0 were added for debugging purpose.
The same thing happened two years ago, on different computer hardware.
At that time,I select undiscipline clock on server, and want 5 clients
sync to server. But after days running, the clients out of sync with
server, chasing their own clock. So I have to disable ntpd, and add
ntpdate to crond to sync the time by force.

Could any one give me some clues on this issue. Thanks