[ntp:questions] ntp clients out of sync with server

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 28 19:21:50 UTC 2008

"naihong at gmail.com" <naihong at gmail.com> writes:

>Hello,

>I have a test environment,
>	Server(WinXP2,Meinberg ntp-4.2.4p5)
>  ____________________________________________________
>  |			                          |	    		                    |
>C1(XP2,ntp-4.2.4p5)  C2(Vista-64,ntp-4.2.4p5)
>C3(CentOS5.2,ntp-4.2.2p1)

>Since it's time island, no connection to public time server. I select
>the orphan mode. After the server and clients start up. At first, the
>clents can sync to server's clock. But after 1 day, all 3 clients
>begin to sync to its local clock, not the server. The output of ntpq -
>p is,
>	remote		refid		st  t when poll  reach    delay    offset     jitter
>       ============================================================
>       10.200.98.51	127.0.0.1            5 u   105  256   377
>0.299   -1.886     0.591
>        *LOCAL(0)		.LOCL.		12 l      23   64   377     0.000
>0.000    0.001

>The ntp.conf on server is,
>driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
>tos orphan 5

>The ntp.conf on all 3 clients is(except the drift file location),

>driftfile "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
>server 10.200.98.51 iburst

>server 127.127.1.0
>fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12
>logconfig = all
>logfile "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\ntp.log"
>statsdir "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc\log\"
>statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
>filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
>filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
>filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

>At beginning, the configuration file on client has only first 2 lines,
>the lines from server 127.127.1.0 were added for debugging purpose.

Debugging purposes? What debugging purposes?

>The same thing happened two years ago, on different computer hardware.
>At that time,I select undiscipline clock on server, and want 5 clients
>sync to server. But after days running, the clients out of sync with
>server, chasing their own clock. So I have to disable ntpd, and add
>ntpdate to crond to sync the time by force.

And you never thought of disabling the local clock? Why?

>Could any one give me some clues on this issue. Thanks

You stick the local clock in why? "doctor it hurts when I beat my head
against the wall" .
Look at the peerstats log-- are they getting any measurements from the
proper host?

What is the output of ntpq -p?