[ntp:questions] Slow convergence of NTP with GPS/PPS

nb at komeda-berlin.de nb at komeda-berlin.de
Wed Oct 29 12:56:08 UTC 2008

>An Update from what we have decided to do.
>
>As NTP is designed to achieve accuracy slowly and conservatively. We
>have decided not to go down the NTP route.
>
>We have decided to use the PPS signal from the GPS and force the system
>time into being correct.
>
>It is a great shame the NTP doesn't achieve a high accuracy quickly, as
>the method we have adopted has a low level of accuracy compared to NTP
>
>I am posting this mainly to help Nicola, with a solution.
>
>Many Thanks for all your help
>
>Best Regards
>
>David

Hi David,

yes, it's too bad. I just arrieved at work 2 hours ago, turned on the machine, wich has an initial offset of 50 ms today (last was 5?!) and I sit here since two hours reading newpapers, waiting for time to settle in order to sync the next machine to it.. Well, I will look into chrony, that's for sure and I can report back if anyone is interrested..

Bye,
../nicola