[ntp:questions] New Version of the NTP Installer for Windows (4.2.4p5)

Heiko Gerstung heiko.removethistext.gerstung at meinberg.de
Tue Sep 2 08:58:45 UTC 2008

David J Taylor schrieb:
> Heiko Gerstung wrote:
>> Hi everybody!
>>
>> The NTP Public Services Project recently announced the release of
>> ntp-4.2.4p5 and after two weeks of testing I am happy to be able to
>> announce an updated Windows Installer version (nicknamed "beijing"
>> due to the 2008 Olympic Games) including this version and a few minor
>> improvements for the installer itself.
> []
>> Cheers,
>>   Heiko
>
> Heiko,
>
> I have that version running on three PCs here - one Windows 2000, one XP
> Home, and one Vista Ultimate.  Unfortunately the PSU in my NT machine
> died, so I no longer have NT switched on anywhere!

I am sure there are some NT users "out there" who are willing to test
this release.

> See Bacchus, Gemini and Hydra here:
>
>   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

Looks fine so far IMHO. Vista is really a PITA for timing. Did you try
to switch off the Multimedia Timer stuff (remove the -M switch from the
NTPD command line)? This seems to have helped until some other
application turns it on (like Quicktime or some multimedia content stuff
on a web page you look at with IE) ...

> I expect the performance will remain unchanged as these are all syncing to
> my local GPS-locked stratum 1 server.

Right, as far as I can tell the performance-related parts of ntpd have
not been touched between 4.2.4p4 and 4.2.4p5.

> Pity about Vista.
Yes, let's hope for SP2 ... I really would like to get in touch with
someone at MS who is responsible for the timing stuff in Vista's kernel.

> Many thanks for making this update available.

Thanks for testing, please keep the feedback coming!

Cheers,
  Heiko