[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Sep 4 11:05:07 UTC 2008

Joe,

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> In article <48bf5d9c$0$21355$c30e37c6 at pit-reader.telstra.net>,
>  "Peter J. Cherny" <peterc at luddite.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Joseph Gwinn wrote:
>> > Which brings me to a question:  How does one get NTP to tell you
>> > exactly where it is getting such things as the ntp.conf file from, all
>> > without
>>  >...
>> [peterc at tantalus ~]$ strings /usr/sbin/ntpd|grep ntp.conf
>> /etc/ntp.conf
>
> In the RHEL case, this would find exactly the wrong copy of ntp.conf,
> being the one we were changing to no avail, not the one that NTP was in
> fact using.
>

>> [peterc at tantalus ~]$ strace -f -o x /usr/sbin/ntpd -g
>
> I'll have to look into this.  It sounds like it might be general enough.
>

>> [root at tantalus ~]# grep ntp.conf x
>> 3351  open("/etc/ntp.conf", O_RDONLY)   = 4
>
> Doesn't this assume that the correct "ntp.conf" file is called ntp.conf?
> It may be common, the standard convention, but it is not required.
>
> The whole point is to find the correct file without making assumptions,
> because on a strange computer strange things may have been done.

I fully agree.

Ntpd generates a bunch of messages about what it has found in the config
file, at least in debug mode.

Maybe you should open an enhancement request on http://bugs.ntp.org to make
ntpd also print the name of the config file it is using, maybe only in
debug mode.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki