[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Peter J. Cherny peterc at luddite.com.au
Thu Sep 4 13:37:07 UTC 2008

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> I will file an enhancement request.  However, my feeling is that this
> function would be most useful if added to ntpq, and yielded the full
> filename including directories, as there may be multiple "ntp.conf"
> files scattered about.  The key is to get NTP to tell us which file NTP
> is using, without interference from our firmly held but sadly mistaken
> assumptions about what NTP ought to be doing.

And you'll file enhancement requests for every other daemon
on the machine ???

In most OSs the man pages are definitive and mostly correct,
with changes noted in the release notes.
If you've paid your support fees, ask the vendor.
In most of the Unix family, the source is available.

<flame>
Else, ask a SysAdmin/SysEngineer/SwEngineer who does this for a living.
You do have other than junior staff ?
</flame>