[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Sep 4 22:02:56 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:

> Very rarely. those files tend to be pretty self contained from what I have
> seen with some sourcing of common functions. Since those files are already
> set up by the distrution, there is no need to then put extra stuff into
> some obscure gui file, especially since they are also run from console
> bootup sessions.

GUI was a read herring.  The files I am thinking of, on Red Hat, are in
a directory called, something like, /etc/sysconfig.  They generally
contain all the variable parameters.  Whether or not they contain the
ntpd configuration file name would depend on whether the GUI tools make
that a user configurable option.

Incidentally, Red Hat can and do change the location of files to reflect
their filesystem layout policies.

I don't have access to a Red Hat system immediately.  Slackware uses
/etc/ntp.conf, but doesn't use the System V (?) style start up scripts.