[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 4 23:34:56 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:

>On 2008-09-04, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> Steve Kostecke wrote:

>>> On Linux OSes init scripts are typically found in /etc/init.d/ or
>>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ Look for one named ntp (or something containing ntp).
>>>
>> I believe service is just a front end to those scripts, so I presume
>> that, by "service shell scripts" he is referring to those scripts.
>> The problem he is having is that they probably source files (bash
>> . command) files containing shell variable definitions from the
>> master configuration directory, maintained by the, typically GUI,
>> configuration tools. I suspect he hasn't realised that is is sourcing
>> thesse files.

>And your point is?

>It is highly likely that the OP has not bothered to grep the /etc/
>directory for instances of 'ntp.conf'.

>That _one_ simple act would render this entire discussion moot because
>it would clearly the ntp.conf file being passed to ntpd.

His point was that it was possible that a) the conf file was not called
ntp.conf, and b) that it was not in /etc/init.d/ntpd because it was in some
gui config file instead which was sourced by /etc/init.d/ntpd and c) that
perhaps the OP had a distro which does not use /etc/init.d
All those are possible, but I agree that the first thing to do is to look
at /etc/init.d/ntpd ( which exists on redhat, but certainly not on windows)
and then go on from there.