[ntp:questions] ntp.conf location on Windows

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 13:33:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Martin Burnicki
<martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> wrote:
> Please note that especially under Windows things may look different. The NTP
> service first tries to open %windir%\ntp.conf, and, if that file does not
> exist, %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\ntp.conf.
>
> The GUI installers provided by Meinberg override these settings with an etc\
> directory below the program installation path, by default \program
> files\ntp\etc. The configured setting can be retrieved from the ImagePath
> registry key of the NTP service registry entry.

On Windows, the isn't defined place for 3rd party service
configuration files the All Users profile? If so, shouldn't ntpd use
something like:
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ntp\ntp.conf

When you stick read-write files into %WINDIR% or %PROGRAMFILES%,
you're braking conventions that enable forward and backward
compatibility. Almost all of the software which was "broken" by Vista
or Win 2008 ignored the MS-defined file placement rules (which I think
have been documented since NT4 in the mid 1990s).

Most software which "requires" admin rights on Windows is simply
poorly written, and dumps temporary and config files into the wrong
places.
--
RPM