[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 16:23:33 UTC 2008

In article <slrngbvrsh.rsh.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net>,
 Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:

> On 2008-09-03, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Read the "service" shell script.  It appears to get its file paths from
> > environment variables named after the thing being started and stopped
> > and accessible only in the root environment; this bit of RHEL-specific
> > structure is being chased down.  (Does anyone know where this is
> > documented?)
>
> On Linux OSes init scripts are typically found in /etc/init.d/ or
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ Look for one named ntp (or something containing ntp).

Yes, and that's where strace led me, where I found a script called ntpd.
How the service script interacts with this ntpd script isn't clear.
Environment variables seem to be implicated, but a listing of
environment variables is not helpful.  Next week I'll digest it all.

> > Which brings me to a question:  How does one get NTP to tell you exactly
> > where it is getting such things as the ntp.conf file from, all without
> > being able to find or see the actual command line or lines that launched
> > the daemon?  I did not see a ntpq command that sounded plausible,
> > although ntpq would be an obvious choice.
> >
> > This would be very useful for debugging, as each and every platform type
> > seems to have a different approach to handling NTP.
>
> Why not use the file location features built in to your OS to find all
> possible instances of ntp.conf?
>
> $ locate ntp.conf
>
> or
>
> $ find / -name ntp.conf
>
> Pipe the output of either of those commands to 'xargs ls -l' to see the
> datestamps of the files.

We did this, but could not tell which one mattered.  Next week.

Nor is it *required* the the ntp configuration file be called ntp.config.

Joe Gwinn