[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 16:29:25 UTC 2008

In article <48c04a8e$0$518$5a6aecb4 at news.aaisp.net.uk>,
 David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
> > On 2008-09-03, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Read the "service" shell script.  It appears to get its file paths from
> >> environment variables named after the thing being started and stopped
> >> and accessible only in the root environment; this bit of RHEL-specific
> >> structure is being chased down.  (Does anyone know where this is
> >> documented?)
> >
> > On Linux OSes init scripts are typically found in /etc/init.d/ or
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/ Look for one named ntp (or something containing ntp).
> >
> I believe service is just a front end to those scripts, so I presume
> that, by "service shell scripts" he is referring to those scripts.  The
> problem he is having is that they probably source files (bash . command)
> files containing shell variable definitions from the master
> configuration directory, maintained by the, typically GUI, configuration
> tools.  I suspect he hasn't realised that is is sourcing thesse files.

Ahh.  I had figured out the first part of this, but had not figured out
where the data was kept.  Environment variables didn't have anything
plausible.  But it has to come from *somewhere*.

The sysadmins know nothing of all this, being AIX and Solaris guys.

> Note that not all Linux distributions use this style of startup script,
> some are based on a more historical style of /etc/rc.

Natch.  That's why ntpq needs a bit more built-in debug support.

Joe Gwinn