[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Sep 8 09:32:59 UTC 2008

David Woolley wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> Steve Kostecke wrote:

>>> Any NTP documentation distributed as man pages is produced by third
>>> parties and should not be viewed as authoritative.
>>
>> Hm, the current repos (both -dev and -stable) contain a .1 file for every
>> binary which seems to be some kind of template to generate at least a man
>> page ...
>
> They are the man pages.  They are at the same abstraction level as HTML
> files and, on most systems, are rendered to the final form on demand.

Hm, I must confess I have never thought about the way man pages are
generated.

> However, they are stub pages (i.e. they are far from complete), ...

I *think* they are just generated by the libopts program which is now used
for command line option processing for NTP, so it basically contains only
those pieces of information which are also printed by the programs' usage
messages.

> ... and they
> are not parameterised by the build system, so are not helpful here.  In
> addition, their presence appears to be in direct contravention of the
> official policy on documentation in the official distributions.
>
> They are also installed in the wrong place.  Manual section 1 is for
> unprivileged user documents, but the NTP tools, and, in paticular, ntpd
> are system manager documents and should be in section 8 and have .8
> suffixes.

Harlan, should we open a big on this?

Martin
--