[ntp:questions] The libntp resumee...

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Tue Sep 9 08:34:17 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:

> Yes, that is with reference to the road. Car three should thus completely
> ignore the other two cars and use his speedometer.
>
> Ie, put up a GPS receiver with a PPS and use that as your time source, and
> ignore all the other ntp time sources, except perhaps as sanity checks (eg
> if you r speedometer breaks you should get to know about it by occasionally
> looking at the other cars)

A)One GPS to each box or
B) a single GPS with PPS line to all boxes?

A:
Doesn't that impact reliability?

You add the failure probability of a GPS-unit to each Box
where one failure will make the whole system fail.

What about doing startup of all involved boxes from the (outside)
upstream timeserver?

a question in this context:

could I use something like this for a group of boxes to sync:

server $external_upstream_host

foreach box $neighbours
	peer $box